Acquiring British citizenship is a complicated process. There are requirements you will need to meet in order to apply for British Citizenship. This is a step by step process to guide you.
There are 5 common requirements to apply for British Citizenship through naturalisation that most applicants must meet.
- Must be over 18 years old
- Be currently living in the UK
- Be of good character. (Usually, this means no serious crimes have been committed or immigration fraud.)
- Meet the English language requirement if you are not from a country that is exempt from this requirement
- Pass the Life in the UK test
These are the common requirements for naturalisation, but most candidates must also have:
- Lived in the UK for at least 5 years or 3 years if you are married to a British Citizen, with no absence longer than 450 days.
- Travelled outside of the UK for longer than 90 days in the last year.
- UK permanent residence (for EAA nationals) or have been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK (must have had this for at least 1 year prior to making the application)
There are 3 ways to initiate your application for naturalisation:
- Submit an individual application.
- Apply through an agent or representative
- Apply through an NCS (National Checking Service)
If you are applying on your own, then you must complete Form AN.
When your application for Naturalisation is complete, you will then need to send it with the fee and the assisting documents to:
UK Visas and Immigration
New Hall Place
Providing biometric information (fingerprints and photo) is required, as it is a part of the application process. The Home office will tell you when to provide this information when you have submitted your application.
After you have sent your application with the fee and assisting documents, you will have to wait. It can take 6 months or longer for the decision to be made on your application. When the decision is made or more information is required from you then you will be contacted by Nationality Department of the Home Office.
If your application is approved you will get an invitation to attend a Citizenship Ceremony. This Ceremony is when you will make an Oath of Allegiance to the UK, meaning promising to respect its rights, freedom, and laws. You will then receive your certificate of naturalisation granting you British Citizenship.
Contact Us for Obtaining British Citizenship
If you’re located in the West Midlands or the surrounding areas and you would like advice or help from our expert immigration solicitors, then please get in touch with us. We can provide professional immigration services and discuss your situation and needs.
Call us on 0121 356 4556 or you can email us at email@example.com. We’re always happy to help.