0121 356 4556
9AM - 5PM Weekdays

Are You At Risk Of Removal After Brexit?

Image of documents on a desk.

The topic of removal after Brexit is one of the many topics that people would like answers to. For a lot of EU nationals that are living in the UK, the outlook that they could be deported after the Brexit leave has been finalised is a rather frightening one. Currently, there are no tangible answers as to what qualifies those who may or may not be deported after Brexit. However, we are able to make guesses as to who is most likely to be at risk and the steps that an EU citizen can take as precautions against removal after Brexit.


Who Will Be At Risk?

At this point in time, this is a difficult question to answer as there are still many uncertainties surrounding immigration and the immigration system after Brexit. Until the Brexit leave has been finalised, EU nationals will still have the right to freedom of movement throughout the UK and there shouldn’t be any restrictions placed on EU nationals that are currently living or working in the UK.

The government had unveiled details about a settlement scheme earlier this year for EU nationals living in the UK after Brexit. The details about the scheme suggest that EU nationals and their families that have been living in the UK for five years or more by the end of 2020, will be able to apply for a ‘settled status’. A settled status gives them the right to remain living and working in the UK permanently. EU nationals that have been living in the UK for less than five years by the cut off date, they may be able to wait until they qualify for an application.


Should I Apply For Residency?

Ministers had recently revealed that there were approximately 135,000 EU nationals that applied for permanent residency in the UK within the last 6 months. This could be a path that you could take if you wanted to take steps in securing a residency. Removal after Brexit could be a risk that may leave many EU citizens in an undetermined state, and as a result, a lot of people have begun taking precautionary steps rather than waiting to see what might happen.

If you have been living in the UK for five years or more, then you may be able to apply for a permanent residence status, however, if you have been living in the UK for less than five years, then you may need to apply for a registration certificate. You may apply through a family member or partner, or you could also apply as a qualified person based on your employment.


Contact Us for European Applications & Immigration Services

If you’re located in the West Midlands or the surrounding areas and you would like advice or help from our expert immigration solicitors, then please get in touch with us. We can provide professional immigration services and discuss your situation and needs.

Call us on 0121 356 4556 or you can email us at enquires@jmwilsonsolicitors.com. We’re always happy to help.


Previous ArticleNext Article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *