There is one ground for divorce in the UK and that is the marriage has broken down irretrievably. In order to prove this you must use one out of the following five reasons:
- The other party has committed adultery by having a sexual relationship with someone of the opposite sex and you can no longer tolerate living with them – known as adultery;
- The other party has behaved in a particular way and as a result you no longer can be expected to live with them – known as unreasonable behaviour;
- The other party has withdrawn from living with you on a permanent basis and this is without your consent – known as desertion;
- You have both lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years just prior to starting the divorce and you both agree to a divorce – known as two years separation and consent;
- You have both lived apart for a continuous period of at least five years just prior to starting the divorce – known as five years separation.
If both parties are in agreement to the divorce then the entire process from start to finish should take around five to six months.
Here at J M Wilson Solicitors we offer a fixed fee for the entire divorce process. You can contact our family law department for more details at Jenny@jmwilsonsolicitors.com